People usually gather numerous tools in their workshop or shed. The idea behind it is that you never know what you may need. Usually, that ruleapplies. There are countless jobs around the house that require all sorts of tools. However, one of the most common tools is a power drill. You can use it on various occasions, as a drill, and many people use a power drill as a screwdriver. In fact, many models are created to be 2-in-1.
Just like most power tools, a power drill comes with supplies that need to be changed once in a while. I am talking about drill bits. They work for a while, but after multiple uses, they become blunt and do not work as well as before. That is bound to happen, which is why manufacturers provide drill bit sets so that you can replace the old ones. My advice to you is to invest in the best drill bit sets you can find so that you can enjoy them for longer.
What are drill bits made of?
The answer to that question depends on what the bits are meant to drill through. There are several materials used for the manufacture of drill bits. That has a significant importance because as long as the manufacturer uses the right material, the drill bits will last longer and they will get the work done optimally. So ultimately, it is about the quality of the drill bit. Here are the materials used:
- ü Steel – they are usually recommended for softwood, but they work just as well on hardwood. It is all about how you work the drill in both cases.
- ü Cobalt – the drill bits made of cobalt are best suited for aluminum, but other tough metals as well.
- ü High-speed steel – this is suitable for PVC, soft metals, wood, and fiberglass.
- ü Titanium coated HHS – this kind of bits can go through wood, metal, fiberglass, and PVC.
- ü Black oxide-coated HHS – they work very well on metal, hardwood, softwood, PVC, and fiberglass.
- ü Carbide-tipped bits – this material is ideal for the manufacture of pieces that are suitable for tile and masonry.
Types of drill bits
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a drill bit that can drill a hole through everything. Depending on what you are working, you will need a different drill bit. That is why the bits are categorized according to the type of material you want to drill. Here are the most notable.
- ü Metal drill bits –you can use them to drill through multiple metals, but you can also use them for wood. They are usually made of HHS. However, if the metal you are working on is very tough, you should use cobalt or tungsten carbide bits.
- ü Tile and glass bits – they resemble little spears, they have a carbide tip and a steel shaft. When you use them on glass or tile, you should be very careful with the speed of the drill. You will have to be slow. Also, do not forget to turn off the hammer impact settings (if your power drill has one.) Otherwise, you risk breaking the tile or the glass.
- ü Concrete and masonry drill bits – these are characterized by a carbide spear joint and a steel shaft. The ends are designed to resist impact, and they are usually thicker than the rest of the bits. After all, they have to handle difficult jobs.
- ü Wood drill bits – you can find several sizes, and they have a long central point. That will help you place the bits better. The wood bits usually work very fast, and you can easily sharpen them.
- ü Expandable bits – these are ideal for large holes. They come with a middle screw area to help them pull via the wood. However, they use a single spur and a flat cutter. Keep in mind, though, that you must always keep them sharpened. Otherwise, they will not work very well.
- ü Hole saws – they are also known as crown saws, and they are used to make large holes. For example, you need a round hole to place a door handle or to create a peephole. Only a hole saw can help you there. There are two types of holes saws. The first has a welded steel cup that comes onto an arbor, and the other one has a spring steel cutter, for locking onto an arbor.
- ü Twist bits – these are used by all handymen out there. They go perfectly with an electric or hand drill. The front part will pierce the material you are working on, and the spiral will simply remove the debris from the hole. You can use them on metal, timber, plastic, or anything else that comes to mind.
Honestly, I could go on, but the drill bits mentioned above are the most common, so I am going to stop. Just for your information, you can also find screwdriver bit drill, spur point bits, bullet pilot points, countersink, Forstner bits, and wood auger bits.
How to choose the best drill bit set
I have never known anyone to buy a single drill bit. You can buy them by piece, but it is better when you buy a whole set. Why? Because you do not know what you may need. You need to drill holes in several sizes, which is why a set sounds a lot better. Here is what you should consider when you are looking for the best drill bit set.
- ü The number of pieces – sets are different, and every manufacturer likes to be on top of the other. That is why you will find several sets that come with as many drill bits as possible. However, do not throw money at a set with 50 pieces if you only need three or four of them. That is just bad investment.
- ü The materials – when you buy the set, think about the things you will be working on. If you are a wood worker, then consider buying drill bits for both hardwood and softwood. That is just an example, but remember to think about this because you will not be able to drill a hole through concrete using a wood drill bit.
- ü The construction – when you buy drill bits, try to choose the best ones you can afford. They need to have a sturdy construction, and the materials used for their manufacture should be of the highest quality. That will ensure a long lasting set, and you will not have to buy another one shortly.
- ü Price – drill bits are not generally expensive, but try not to choose the cheapest set. Otherwise, you will end up with bent drill bits pretty soon.
Some people also like to look at a particular brand, and that is okay. If you use one brand and are satisfied with their products, you should keep using them. That way you have no chance of ending up disappointed.
What are the best drill bit sets?
As you can imagine, the marketplace is full of such products. That is why choosing only one may be particularly challenging, especially if this is your first experience. Here are three suggestions that should be of help.
Dewalt DW1354 14-Piece Titanium Drill Bit Set
Many people use this brand because it manufactures high-quality tools. They provide a variety of products that are meant to satisfy the client’s needs, and they succeed most of the times. Their products are highly rated and popular, such as this drill bit set. The bits have heavy-duty titanium pilot points, which makes them highly durable.
This particular set is suitable for wood, so as long as you used them for the purpose they were created, they are going to last a very long time. In fact, there are people who claim to have had this very same set for 8 years, and they are just replacing the bits now. In a way, the Dewalt set is a long-term investment. They are compatible with multiple drill models so that you can use them as you please. There are no spin shanks
The set contains 14 pieces for you to use at your convenience. One of the features that make these drill bits so durable is the tapered web that reduces breaking. The bits come in a hard plastic case that will help you keep your bits organized. Also, it is very hard to lose something that you keep in a box at all times. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Black&Decker 15557 Drill Bit Set
The set from Black&Decker may not have as many pieces as the Dewalt set, but they are just as good. Black&Decker is yet another brand that ensures quality and durability. However, unlike the previous set, these drill bits have round shanks, so make sure that you check the compatibility with your power drill. The manufacturer recommends that you use them for a drill that has a 3/8-inch chuck.
You can use these drill bits on metal, plastic or wood. As long as you follow the specifications, they should last for a long time. There are 10 pieces in this set, from 1/16 to ¼. You can use them on various occasions, and the bits will not let you down. However, keep in mind that these bitsare designed to handle light jobs. If you need something more heavy-duty, I recommend that you look at another product.
The Black&Decker set comes with a handy bit bar that will make storing very easy. That way you will not be losing these pieces anytime soon. You can safely store the pieces in a toolbox, pocket, or even kitchen drawer. If you are your own handyman and usually work on small jobs around the house, these drill bits should be perfect for you. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Bosch MS4091 91-Piece Drill and Drive Bit Set
I do not know about you, but I think everyone has heard of Bosch. It is a famous German company that manufactures a vast variety of products from tools to house appliances. Honestly, I had both, and the only thing that ever broke was something that was supposed to, such as supplies. This product makes no exception. If one thing is for sure, it is the fact that this set will not let you down.
The set contains a vast variety of pieces. There is a total of 91, and there is no way you can say that you are not equipped for any job you may have around the house. Not only that, but this product is also suitable for tougher jobs, which means it is highly durable. The set contains bits for drilling, but also a ratcheting screwdriver, countersink, bit holder, magnetic extension pen, rotary masonry bits, brad point bits, and nut setters. Each of those listed come in different sizes.
The bits from this set are made of heavy duty titanium. They will last for many years and will help you get your job done. It is suitable for tough jobs, not only something light that you do around the house. You can use the bits both on metal and on wood. Just make sure that you follow the instructions. The pieces come in an easy to carry plastic case that will help you keep the bits organized. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
I personally like Bosch. They make high-quality everything. However, if you are searching just for the drillbits, then I recommend the Dewalt DW1354 14-Piece Titanium Drill Bit Set. It has pretty much all the bits you may need, they are made of premium materials, and the price is more than affordable. In my opinion, that makes this set one of the best drill bit sets on the market, which is why I highly recommend it.
For such small pieces, drill bits can ruin your day. Drilling with a blunt bit is very frustrating, and it may also ruin your project. However, a spare drill bit set always comes in handy, which is why I advise you to choose one of the products above. You will be more than satisfied with your purchase. Click here to buy on Amazon
- The True Story About Cobalt Drill Bits That the Experts Don’t Want You to Hear
- The Insider Secret on Drill Bit Set Discovered
- What You Should Do About Masonry Drill Bit Beginning in the Next 6 Minutes
- New Questions About Metal Drill Bit Answered and Why You Must Read Every Word of This Report
- Top Best Drill Bits Reviews!
- The War Against Drill Bits for Metal
- Outrageous Tungsten Carbide Drill Bits Tips
- Choosing Good Masonry Drill Bit Set
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Concrete Drill Bit
- The Lost Secret of Best Hss Drill Bits
- Short Article Reveals the Undeniable Facts About Metal Cutting Drill Bit and How It Can Affect You
- New Step by Step Roadmap for Titanium Drill Bits
- Finding the Best Spade Drill Bit
- Definitions of Best Quality Drill Bits
- Why People Aren’t Talking About Carbide Drill Bits for Hardened Steel and What You Need to Do Right Now About It
- The Secret to the Best Drill Bits
- The Benefits of Good Drill Bits
- A Review of Cobalt Drill Bit Set
- The Drill Bits for Wood Diaries
- Vital Pieces of Drill Bit for Steel
- What You Need to Know About Masonry Bit
- New Ideas Into Best Drill Bits for Steel Never Before Revealed
- High Quality Drill Bits – What Is It?
- The Key to Successful Best Drill
- Drill Bits for Hardened Steel Fundamentals Explained
- What You Need to Do About Hss Drill Bits
- New Questions About Drill Bits for Steel Answered and Why You Must Read Every Word of This Report
- Hidden Solutions to Dewalt Drill Bit Set Exposed
- The Ultimate Solution for Steel Drill Bits
- If You Read Nothing Else Today, Read This Report on Stainless Steel Drill Bits
- What Is So Fascinating About Best Cobalt Drill Bits?
- The Lost Secret of Wood Drill Bits
- Top Step Drill Bit Choices
- Key Pieces of Drill Bits for Stainless Steel
- The Basics of Best Drill Bits for Metal